Are you creative enough to come up with a shoe you always wish to own? You can imagine forgetting about ordering ready-made shoes, instead design by yourself. Many options are available for customizing shoes and sneakers. It only depends on what you choose. You go a long way with just a little creativity. The final product relies on how you apply the customization. That’s why this article is here to discuss ways you can customize your shoes. Please keep reading to understand more.
How to customize your shoes
If you want to completely cover your shoe, spray paint is a faster way to do it. The sprayed paint remains on the shoe surface, it doesn’t soak inside the material used. There being a wide variety of spray paint colors and types, shoe customization allows for greater versatility. So, how can someone spray paint shoes to bring out the admired look? Well, begin by selecting a spray paint type that goes along the shoes’ material. Different paint companies make paint specifically meant for plastic, vinyl, leather, and other materials. We also have companies making floral spray paint that’s flexible with low cracking or wrinkling chances. The following requirements are essential for paint spraying;
- Drop cloth
- Painter’s tape
- Cotton balls or rags
- Rubber gloves
- Spray paint recommended for the material used to make the shoe in subject
- Acetone or leather preparer
- To paint, begin by covering the area with a plastic sheet or cloth piece in a well ventilated room or area as most paints contain strong fumes. After that, use the steps below t spray the shoe with paint;
- Use the leather preparer and deglazer for coating and debris removal. A clean cloth piece should help rub the preparer against. It may look dull and lighter, but give time for the shoe to dry.
- Seal any areas you don’t wish to paint with a tape. The seal should match well with a straight line.
- Fill the shoe’s inside with a newspaper for retaining a good shape and preventing paint from getting its way in. Doing this also avoids paint from getting to the insoles during spraying.
- Shake well the paint for proper mixing before starting to spray. Holding it a few inches from the shoe, use light, long, and sweeping motions to spray paint the surface.
- Allow the painted spray to dry fully. Later on you can apply more coating to give complete coverage and vibrancy in color.
- Let it stay to dry for one hour or so after having the final coat. You can then, remove the seal and offer another 24 hours for the paint to cure better.
- Spray using a sealant meant for the shoe material. Choose between a glossy or matte sealant, go by your pick.
Shoes can also be colored using dye. It works by changing the shoes’ fabric color, but not covering it up completely. It can be described mainly as a color’s transparent layer, meaning any blemishes will still be seen afterwards. Darker layers maybe less visible, but with keenness you can still notice. Let’s take an example of dyeing a white canvas pair. You’ll require the following;
- Canvas sneakers
- Large measuring container
- Fabric liquid dye
- Rubber gloves
- Waterproof tape
- Metal spoon
- Stainless steel pot
- Sponge brushes
- Plastic table cover
- Stainless steel tongs
- Paper towels
You should think of protecting your work area since dye is permanent. That’s why you should cover the table or countertop with plastic sheet before handling the dye.
Steps for dyeing
Get a stainless steel pot filled with hot water. It should be full to ensure the shoes are submerged completely and have extra space for movement. Follow the instructions given to know the dye ratio to add in the water.
- Dip the shoes in the hot water, then use tongs for putting them in a dye bath.
- Apply heat to simmer the dye bath. Stir the bath using a spoon and leave the shoes inside for maximum time to achieve high vibrancy. It can be between 10 and 60 minutes.
- Next is to rinse the shoe using warm running water. Lower the water temperature gradually as you keep rinsing until the water running out becomes clear.
- Use mild detergent and warm water to wash the shoe, then rinse it well.
- Dry the shoe in the sun.
Shoes can acquire an added touch by customizing laces to replace the old. You can either spray paint, dye, or simply change the laces. The lacing method can also do wonders to change the final look. Therefore, you should be creative enough to decide how laces get into your shoe. Fr instance;
- Bar lacing- Traditionally, people liked crisscrossing the laces, but in this, they appear straight like bars. Starting from the bottom hole, the lace enters the hole parallel to the former. Next is going up through the above hole and across to the other shoe side.
- Standard lacing- It’s the most common method. The lace crosses itself throughout from top to bottom. This method works properly for people involved in intense activities like athletes, because it offers the tightest fitting.
- Zipper lacing- Here, you combine crisscrossing and the bar lacing method. However, it has a stronger tension than bar lacing. To tie this, take the lace straight through the two holes at the bottom. Then, let it go diagonally to the following hole on the opposite shoe side.
- No-tie lacing- If you’ve got elastic laces, it’s possible to convert the shoe into a no-tie style. Be sure the look made will be seamless and it’ll be easier slipping in them as you head out. Mostly kids and adults enjoy this style.
The bottom line
Are you tired of putting on footwear designed by other people? If yes, then you can step out of that by learning how to customize your shoes. You can apply it through methods such as spray painting, dyeing, then, changing to customized laces, among many other ways. Choose the one you love and put the procedure into practice.