HOW TO GET TAR OFF YOUR SHOES? CREATIVE WAYS TO REMOVE IT WITHOUT HASSLE
Tar is a sticky and viscous substance that is obtained from petroleum. This product is mainly used on roof repairs, making surfaces waterproof as well as road construction. The hunks of tar are common in sticking to shoe soles' ruts; in some situations, it will also stick on the shoe surfaces. The hunks of tar are known for their stubbornness when they find their way either in the soles on the shoe's surfaces. The best way to deal with this product when it gets into your shoes is to ensure that you get rid of it the soonest as possible. If not attended soon, the hunks of tar on your shoes are likely to give black stains. Imagine the presence of the unwanted black stains on the surface of your newly acquired Skechers or sneakers! No one would think of it; thus, the tar should be removed within the shortest time possible when it happens.
The sticky character of tar makes it a tough substance to remove from the surfaces of shoes and the shoe soles, a condition which requires a greasing agent to remove it quickly. The amount of tar sticking onto one's shoes determines the method to be used on removing it. For instance, a small amount of tar can be easily worked out by using simple measures, but when a large amount is involved, it will require special measures such as cleaners to work it out. The duration on which the tar has stuck into your shoes also determines the method to remove it. If it has stuck on the shoe surfaces for a short period, it will require more straightforward methods, but if it has stayed on the shoes for an extended period, it will require specific cleaning agents to work it out. Experts advise against using water to clean tar on shoe surfaces as it does not work on it effectively; water only serves to spread the tar stains further, therefore making it more challenging to clean them out.
There are numerous ways of removing tar from shoes; a good number of these methods are self-made or homemade to say since they use the locally available materials from within the house. One does not necessarily need to be an expert to make use of these methods. These methods include:
Using blunt knives
Blunt knives such as plastic knives, as well as disposable knives, can be used to remove tar on the shoe surfaces and the soles; however, the method is only applicable during the early stages. When one is using this method, they should be careful not to make any cuts or gouge holes into the shoes. The method works perfectly on the tar, which has struck on the shoe surfaces for a short period.
Using detergent or soap and water.
This method involves a mixture of soap or dish detergent and warm water. When the mixture is ready, an old brush is used, whereby it is dipped into the water and scrubbed onto the shoe surfaces circularly affected by the stains. A toothbrush is recommended because it can get into groves of any shoe's tread patterns and remove any traces of tar stuck there. Upon doing this, the shoe should be left to dry. The drying process should happen away from direct sunlight, as direct sunlight is likely to damage the shoes.
Softeners are products used to nourish the leather, making shoes, therefore, softening it. The ability of softeners to nourish as well as soften makes them ideal for use in getting rid of tar off the shoe surfaces as it can quickly soften tar hence making it removable by scrubbing. Some of the softeners available in the market include Margarine, Olive oil, petroleum jelly, peanut butter, and eucalyptus oil, among other types. To make these products effective in dealing with tar on your shoe surfaces, you need to apply a substantial amount of any on the parts which have tar stains then leave the shoes to sit on undisturbed for a period of an hour. When the one-hour lapses, you can have your shoes and wash off the softener using water.
These products work by the shoes being soaked in the solvent for some time. In another way, the shoe's affected area can be massaged to make the solvent penetrate into the shoe. Some of the market solvents today include turpentine, kerosene, lighter fluid, gasoline, and WD- 40. Not all the solvents can give good results, so one should seek advice from experts before using any in cleaning tar from their shoes as some can react with the shoes causing blemishes. Upon the solvent serving its role correctly, it can be removed from the shoe surface by washing it with water and soap.
Using baby oil.
Baby oil serves as a greasing agent; it is applied to the shoe areas with tar chunks and stains. Upon applying, the stuck tar chucks can now be easily removed by using an item like a blunt knife or a blade. The use of water and soap can also scrub off the satins. Elbow grease can also be used in place of baby oil.
This requires one to leave the affected shoes inside a freezer for several hours. This method works perfectly in removing tar stains as freezing helps in scouring the tar stains as well as chunks of the shoe surfaces. This method can also be used in a way that ice cubes are held onto the chunks of tar till they become brittle to facilitate their easy removal.
The market is full of tar cleaners, which are effective in dealing with tar stains. These tar cleaners' positive side is that mostly they do not cause unpleasant side-effects on the shoes being cleaned. The cleaners grease the tar stuck on the shoe surfaces, therefore easing its removal.
To be specific, tar is a thick black carbon-based liquid that can be produced from coal, wood, petroleum, and peat. Tar can be made or found naturally in tar mines. Tar has several uses, including sealing roofing shingles, a waterproof sealant in the shipbuilding industry; however, this product has greatly reduced in the shipbuilding industry. Tar is mostly used in road construction as it has proved to be the best material when it comes to this. Tar is also used in cleaning animals caught up in oil slicks.
Getting tar off shoes will simply involve some WD-40, a plastic knife as well as a toothbrush. The process of working out the tar out of the shoes will involve a simple process as follows;
- The plastic knife is used to scrape off as much tar as possible from the shoe surfaces. While scrapping, one should be more careful not to gouge the soles or damage the shoe soles, especially when handling spiked shoes.
- When you are done with step one, you should now embark on the next step, which involves mixing the detergent you will use with some warm water.
- The next step involves dipping the old toothbrush into the solution already prepared then use it to scrap the remaining traces of tar from the shoe surfaces.
- If the tar involved tends to be stubborn, it will be necessary for one to loosen it with some amount of WD-40. This works best by spraying it into the tar stained regions; upon spraying, the spray should be given some time to allow it set. You should continue scrubbing the shoes by use of the old brush until the tar stains disappear.
- When all the tar is gone, the shoes should be washed with a detergent as well as water to remove the WD-40 residue.
If this process does not work perfectly, one is advised to use specialized products available in various automotive stores. The WD-40 can as well as be replaced with baby oil, which also makes a travelable lubricant. To ensure that the tar is scrapped off easily, one should freeze the shoes before scrapping the shoes using a plastic knife. Gasoline is another product that is recommendable for use though it has several shortcomings, such as being highly flammable, thus a dangerous product to use. The other shortcoming of gasoline includes being a smelly, thus undesirable product to use.
Lacquer thinner, screwdriver, and old towels are some other products that work well on beach shoes. When using these products, one needs to be careful to protect themselves and their clothes by having an apron on as well as gloves made of either rubber or plastic. Oil-based products are also recommended to soften the tar on the shoe surfaces, thus guarding your shoes against any damage. These substances include eucalyptus oil, margarine, lard, peanut butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, among other products.
To ensure that the oil-based products do not further stain your shoes, you need to subject them through spot treating. To attain this, you need to spoon the softener at the point where the stain is and allow it some time to set. Tar can be melted by the use of kerosene as well as any other lighter fluid. One needs to put it into significant consideration that tar should be cleaned from the shoe surfaces the soonest as possible since the longer it stays in the shoes, the harder it becomes to clean. The tar stain should never be sprayed with any other substance apart from water as any other substance will lead to further spreading of the stains. When you are done with cleaning your shoes, you should remember to rinse them off.
Cleaning Tar off the Carpet.
It will be possible to find your carpet soiled by tar when it gets on your shoes as you are likely to step on the carpets on the same shoes. It might prove to be tasking to get the tar off the carpets, but it is not impossible. To perform effective cleaning on the carpets, you need a vacuum cleaner, paper towels, cold water, warm water and detergent, and paper towels. When you have all these items within your disposal, then you are about to go; you need to follow the instructions below keenly to give your carpet its original color.
- When you discover any traces of tar on your carpet, you are required to work on it the soonest as possible by removing much of it as possible; this can be made easy by blotting the stain, which makes its removal easy.
- The tar stains on the carpet should be vacuumed as this will help deal with lingering particles.
- The cleaning solution required in working out this should be made by simply mixing warm water with a quarter cup of liquid dish soap.
- The made cleaning solution should be affixed right on the top of the tar stain towards the center. While doing this, you should ensure that you move slowly inside since this will ensure that you do not spread the stain any further into the carpet.
- The tar should then be rinsed out of the carpet by use of a very cold water. If the stain is not worked out completely, you are required to repeat the above steps until you completely do away with tar stains on your carpets.
- When the stain on your carpet proves to be stubborn and does not move completely, one is advised to use professional carpet cleaners, which applies unique stain removal mechanisms.
- When the stain is successfully removed from the carpet, one must put some dry paper towel precisely on the area that was affected. This should be followed by weighing the paper towels down to ensure that they soak away any wetness or dampness on the carpets. The carper should then be left overnight to dry on its own.
- This process's area should be vacuumed when you are done with cleaning your carpet.
At times the tar stains on your carpet might prove to be too stubborn such that the above process cannot work them out; if this is your case, you are advised to use WD-40 to loosen them stains up, thus easing the process of their removal. If this does not serve you right, you will have no other option but to seek a professional's services.
Safety Precautions when Dealing with Tar.
A number of products used to clean the tar stains should be handled with a lot of care since some are dangerous; thus, they can endanger one's health, cause accidents, and lead to environmental pollution if not handled with care. Here are some of the precautions that should be observed keenly when dealing with tar cleaning products.
- The products should never be used close to an open flame or any source of heat. This is because some are flammable; therefore, when used close to heat sources, chances of fire accidents occurring are high. Such products include gasoline and kerosene.
- Some of the products are also smelly; for instance, the smell of gasoline or kerosene might take a long period before it is completely removed, even after multiple pieces of washing.
- You should never expose the fabric to heat unless the tar stain is wholly cleaned as it may set. The use of cool air should only dry it.
- Leatherette, suede, fur, and leather require professional cleaning and treatment; therefore, when these are involved, one is advised to seek an expert's services. Though it might be expensive to get an expert, it is worth undertaking to get one is much cheaper than replacing the tar stained item.
- To ensure that you give the right treatment to whichever item you are treating, you should read the care tag on the cleaning care. This will aid you in understanding the required cleaning process as well as the recommended temperatures. For instance, if the tag says that you should not bleach, then avoid it at all cost; when it says dry clean only, you will have no option but have a professional do it on your behalf.
- You should remember that your safety is paramount when you are handling tar cleaning products, whether they are chemicals or tools. You can easily poison yourself with the chemicals, while the tools such as the plastic knife can injure you if not handled with care.
Having seen the effects of tar on different kinds of footwear and how one is supposed to get rid of tar out of their footwear, it will be important we see some of the best shoes to dress on tar surfaces.
Best Work Boots for Asphalt Work.
The asphalt workers have several issues to address while at work as long as their feet are concerned. Some of these issues include:
- Working in the outdoor environment, which is obviously exposed to extremely hostile weather conditions such as humid weather, snowy, cold, and hot. Such conditions make it difficult for one to find the right footwear that secures their foot, gives them the comfort level they require and has the features that will make the shoe tolerate the working environment.
- Having the right kind of shoes which will enable them to work on their feet for a prolonged period, this is because this work entails long working hours, one can work for over ten hours in a day a condition which is likely to cause stress on their feet as well as back and joints thus the need for the right footwear to aid in alleviating these situations.
- The asphalt workers deal with hot substances such as the hot pavement, which are dangerous not only to their footwear but also to their foot; therefore they require the kind of footwear which will protect the feet while at the same time the shoes are in a position to withstand such hot conditions.
The above conditions make it necessary for the asphalt workers to dress on a proper pair of footwear, which will offer the required level of protection, be durable, and offer comfort. Here are some types of footwear currently in the market, which are made for people working in environments characterized by features similar to those that exist on asphalts'' work environment.
Timberland Pro Men’s Gridworks 8” Alloy Safety-Toe Waterproof Work Boots.
These great and unique boots are made to have dual-density dynamic anti-fatigue technology. This makes the shoe offer all that one's feet, knee, joints, and back requires when you have to spend long hours on your feet. These boots also encompass mesh lining with antimicrobial treatment, which is paramount as it helps fight odor, which is likely to build in the shoes due to one working in environments characterized by different weather conditions. For instance, one is likely to experience sweating feet when they are working in hot conditions, those working in damp conditions are likely to have wetness in their shoes, and all these situations are likely to create stench from within the shoes.
To ensure that these boots are protective to their users, their manufacturers have made them to be waterproof by having a special waterproof membrane. This feature ensures that the manufacturer's feet are kept cool and dry all through. The boots are also made to have an 8-inch shaft, which is of great use in guarding the wearer's ankles against abrasions that are likely to come on while operating on hot pavements day in day out. The outsoles of these unique boots are made a slip, oil, and abrasion-resistant a condition that provides them with the required level of traction with different kinds of surfaces that asphalt workers are likely to encounter. This feature assures the wearers of boots sure-footedness all through, thus reducing their slipping and falling chances.
These boots' features and specifications entail; dual-density dynamic anti-fatigue technology gives the highest level of comfort. They are made on all-weather thermos-plastic urethane outsoles characterized by wedge shape and a low-temperature formation to raise their level of gripping with cold, oily, and slippery surfaces. They also come with fiberglass shank for support, a condition that ensures that their wearers will remain stable all through.
Timberland Pro Men's 8 Inch Boondock Composite- Toe Waterproof Work Boots.
The manufacturers of these boots have designed them to have dual-density Anti-Fatigue technology. This feature offers the wearers of these boots the comfort they crave, therefore helping them avoid experiencing painful joints and feet while they stand for long hours in a day. The comfort level is further maximized by the fact that these shoes come with padded collars on their tops. Boondock boots also have an antimicrobial mesh lining that ensures that the wearer’s feet remain cool and dry all through. The antimicrobial lining will also work on the instances of bacteria within the shoes, which are likely to cause odor. This factor increases the level of comfort for those who work on these boots.
These boots are made to ensure that their wearers are well protected. For instance, they are designed to have 8-inch shafts that add a level of protection to one's feet and the ankles as one will be safe from the common abrasive materials when one is handling asphalt. These pair of boots are designed to have rubber toe abrasion-resistant protectors, which protects one from handling risky situations such as hot pavements. The protection level is further increased because these boots have composite safety toes, which guards one toe against being crushed. The composite safety toes will also ensure that the heat channeled by the hot pavement does not get to the feet. The pair is designed to have a waterproof membrane that protects their wearer's feet from water as they work outdoors, where they are likely to encounter rain. The TPU abrasive resistant outsoles for these shoes will definitely guard one from abrasive as well as dangerous materials such as hot pavement.
The manufacturers of these boots have ensured that they make them durable, so when you purchase them, you are sure that you will not replace them within a short period, thus a very economical pair to have. To attain their durability level, these kinds of timberland boots are made of ever-guard leather, which is a top-quality material and has great looks. The level of durability in these boots is further enhanced by the fact that they are manufactured by combining the Goodyear welt/ cement heel construction method.
Timberland Pro Men's 52562 Endurance 6'' Pr Work Boots.
The Endurance 6’’ is made to give asphalt work comfort of a high degree. To attain their primary aim of making the wearers of these shoes comfortable, the manufacturers have designed these boots to have an antimicrobial lining designed to make the shoes breathable and fight odor. These features boost one's comfort by keeping the feet cool and dry, especially when working in extremely hot weather conditions.
Given the kind of environment from which asphalt workers operate from, they will definitely require protective footwear. The manufacturers of these shoes have given priority to the wearer's safety by designing these shoes to have an 8-inch height. This factor ensures that one's feet and ankles are well protected from the hot pavement. The outsoles of these timberland boots are abrasion, oil, and slip-resistant, which gives the asphalt worker confidence while conducting their duties. The fact further assures the safety in these boots of having steel toes and electrical hazard protection. This feature puts away any thoughts of one being electrocuted while in asphalt work, and it will also protect your toes from being crushed.
No one will want to purchase shoes from time to time, and thus durability is a paramount feature in one's footwear. The manufacturers of these boots are keen on ensuring that they give their consumers a highly durable shoe. These boots are made of rugged full-grain leather for durability, which is manufactured using the cement construction method. The combination of both the material making these boots and the method employed in their construction makes them ideal for working in environments characterized by hazardous conditions such as the ones prevailing in the asphalt industry.
Timberland Pro Men’s 47019 Titans 8’’ Waterproof Safety Toe Boots.
47019 Titans 8'' boots are designed to offer a high level of comfort; this is ensured through the boots having PU midsoles, which aids in alleviating any instances of pain from the feet and ankles. The boots also have a Timberland PRO Suspensions system that aids in working out the chances of arches resulting from spending long hours on feet, especially a situation whereby one has been standing under the scorching sun. These boots are designed to have a breathable moisture-wicking mesh lining, which helps keep the feet cold and wet condition, which adds to the level of comfort.
To ensure that these boots produce the required level of protection, their manufacturers have designed them to have 8-inch shafts, which guards one's feet as well as ankles from suffering conditions such as abrasions. The outsoles of these shoes are made of rubber, designed to ensure that they are abrasion, slip, and oil resistant. On top of these, the outsoles are also made to produce superb traction with various surfaces, thus improving the wearer’s stability level. These boots are also waterproof making them cope well with conditions prevailing in an outdoor environment such as rain, snow, cold wind, to name a few. To guard the wearer’s toes against crushing, these boots' manufacturers have ensured that they design them with alloy safety toes. This condition puts the level of safety of these boots on another level.
Next time you are working in an environment where your shoes have to come in conduct with tar or asphalt, make sure you have the right boots to make you comfortable and secure. In case your footwear has been soiled by tar and wondering how to get rid of it, worry no not as there are many products both in the market and others available at home to help you clean your shoes and give them their original state. The most important thing that one is supposed to consider is ensuring that they go for the right cleaners when their shoes are infested with stains of tar. Cleaning of tar stained shoes and other equipment should also follow the required procedure to be effective.
Freaky Shoes, which is an online platform that deals with designing and manufacturing quality footwear, is one of the greatest companies concerned with giving their consumers the best products. For more details about this company, visit their website: freakyshoes.com.